D.T. Leader: Caroline Matthews
The National Curriculum: Design and Technology
Design and technology is an inspiring and practical subject. Children are natural investigators, inventors and makers and through creativity and imagination, the children are encouraged to put their invention to good and purposeful use.
Through the design and technology programme we aim to develop children’s investigative and inventive ability and to provide the necessary skills and understanding for designing and constructing products. Our programme aims to promote children’s enjoyment in solving problems and creating simple products; to value their own achievements and those of others. They develop an understanding of the subjects impact on daily life and the wider world.
In Key stage 1 there are 5 areas of the design and technology programme. In each area the children will learn a variety of skills and techniques. These areas are:
1. Cooking and nutrition:
- understand where food comes from
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users
- generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates, mock-ups and, where appropriate, Computing
- select from and use a range of tools and equipment
- use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients
- explore and evaluate a range of existing products
- evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
5. Technical knowledge
- build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable
explore and use mechanisms, such as levers, sliders, wheels or axles within their products
Long term map for Design and Technology
Skills Progression for Design and Technology
Our vision for Design and Technology at Petersfield
At Petersfield Infant School we recognize that children are natural investigators, inventors and creators. We enable children to design and make in imaginative, relevant and purposeful ways and nurture children’s innovative ability through modern projects for real-life users. We show children the exciting and valuable nature of the subject and its role in improving the creativity, culture, and well-being of themselves, their community and wider society. Our approach values diversity of ideas and approaches and guides children to be resourceful, enterprising and capable designers. We support their independence and inspire children to value themselves as the designers and makers of the future.